Basement Finishing Insight for a Magical Transformation
A quick one; what comes to mind when you think about your basement? Most likely you have just shuddered when you remembered the odor, mold, dampness and disorganization you witnessed the last time you were there. If this is the case, then you are sitting on a precious jewel and you don’t know it.
Optimizing Basement Remodeling and Finishing
Innovations in basement finishing systems can help you transform your dingy basement into your favorite room. It might seem like a tall order, but when you have an established contractor by your side, this is not a long call.
In fact, the National Association of Realtors® reckons over 67% of home owners are leveraging services of interior décor contractors to revolutionize their basements. Here are some pros for this project:
- Extra space: With your kids zooming across the house, you need to have extra space for them. Your basement can be transformed into a play room for the kids or even a place for hanging out with friends.
- Improved indoor air quality: A wet basement is a health hazard as it can lead to growth of toxic mold leading to respiratory problems. With kids in the house, your medical bills will rise steeply, but basement finishing helps avoid such a situation.
- Protecting your home’s value: Before putting your property in the market, talk to an indoor finishing contractor to have your basement remodeled. Real estate agents look for such nooks to point out problems to clients and this could lower your property value.
Transforming a Basement into an Impeccable Living Space
While your contractor will help you make the best aesthetic and functional decisions, it is important to have insight on areas you can remodel. Take a look:
- Evaluate your needs: Ultimately the basement will be your living space and you need to know how you want it utilized. This is what will guide all the other basement finishing.
- Moisture and mold control: These are the major problems down there and you need a contractor to deal with the cause of water seepage and initiate mold remediation.
- Wall, floor and interior décor renovation: Your walls and floor have to match the use of the room. There are some basement-specific flooring options and your finishing expert will guide you on the selection. Other issues to consider include aesthetical accessories such as artwork depending on the basement use.
- Heating and electrical repair: Your basement is most likely freezing and you need finishing services to heat it up and also light it up.
Before starting the basement finishing project, make sure you pick the right contractor by reading reviews, testimonials and checking their portfolio. Make sure you use a licensed, registered, certified and insured contractor at every juncture. These professionals understand every building regulation you need to abide by.