Family owned basement contractors serving CT, MA & NY
NEED HELP? 1-800-DRY-2211

Helpful Black Mold Removal Tips – and Potential Health Effects

The name, black mold, is enough to put any homeowner on the edge. Mold is particularly common in areas of the home that are damp, humid and warm. It grows freely in crawlspaces and basements that have high levels of moisture.

Toxic black mold is a type of fungus known to produce toxins that are harmful to your health. It is easily recognizable because of its color. While most other molds have a greenish or grayish appearance, toxic black mold is black as its name suggests.

Why you should be worried

Toxic black mold is dangerous because it produces toxins that can cause an array of health problems. When the molds have grown, they produce spores. These spores disperse easily in the air. When people inhale or ingest the spores, they can cause various dangerous symptoms in people.

One of the most common health effects of toxic black fungus is the development of respiratory problems. Spores that are inhaled can result in allergic reactions in those exposed. Symptoms of exposure to toxic black mold include:

  • Chronic sneezing and coughing
  • Rashes
  • Irritation of the mucus membranes in the throat and nose
  • Irritation of the eyes
  • Persistent headaches
  • Chronic fatigue

Prolonged exposure to this toxic fungus can result in even more serious health effects. These health effects often become worse by the accompanying allergic reaction caused by exposure to the spores. Symptoms of prolonged exposure include:

  • Nausea
  • Bleeding in the lungs
  • Nose bleeding
  • Vomiting

Getting rid of black mold

Getting rid of this fungus is often an expensive venture especially in cases where the mold has covered a large surface. It is important to note that cleaning the visible mold away will not really get rid of it completely. This fungus must be killed if you want to ensure that it does not continue to spread within your home.

Before you start the process of killing the fungi, ensure that you wear the right protective equipment. Wear gloves and protective clothing. Also, ensure that you wear a facemask or respirator to protect your lungs from spores.

  1. Ensure that you deal with the source of moisture. No amount of cleaning will prevent the growth of mold. Ensure that leaks are fixed and damp basements waterproofed.
  2. Use a bleach solution (bleach dissolved in water) to spray the surfaces where the molds have grown. Bleach is a readily available biocide.

You can also use a solution of borax to coat the affected area.

Related Blog Posts
If your basement has water seeping in from cracks in the walls or water is coming up through the floor, you need a ...
May 8, 2020
Seasons of heavy rainfall spell doom for basements. This is when the efficacy of your basement...
May 1, 2020
Mold can cause serious damage to you and your home. The most serious form is black mold, but any type can cause problems if left to grow. If you suspect that you may have mold in your home, it is important...
March 15, 2020

If you are living with a damp, wet, or flooded basement, don’t wait any longer- contact Budget Dry today!

Our team of knowledgeable and friendly Project Managers will come to your home to review your specific situation and guide you through the process of choosing a solution that meets your budget and goals.

Tired of Your Wet Basement?
Get a Free Basement Inspection Today!
First Name (required)
Last Name (required)
Email Address
Phone Number
How Can We Help?
Best Time to Call
Anything Else We Should Know?